Friday, July 15, 2011

Does my friend's 12-year-old have autism or Asperger's Syndrome?

I recently met my new friend's 12-year-old son, but I seriously thought he was 8 or 9, since he was small for his age. But I noticed that he talks alot and was talking to my husband constantly (and one-sidedly) into the wee hours of the night when we were there. He plays several musical instruments (which he is really good at) and is at the very top in honors in math at his school. He also tends to have a rich vocabulary in his speech. One thing that fascinated me was that he can figure out a rubik's cube in less than a minute! When he plays his instruments he plays one then another and another all within several minutes. He also plays with toys (figurine-type) and makes sounds with them like how a younger kid would. I've noticed that my friend is having a hard time disciplining him, as she would tell him more than once (around 3x) to do something until he finally listens. She'll also tell him constantly not to touch this or that when we all would go on outings. I'm just wondering if these are symptoms of AS or autism? If so, I wish I could somehow help my friend. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment